Southland Health Care Center and Commander Nursing Center were founded by Joe M. Commander, Jr. in 1958. While there are many skilled nursing facilities in Florence, SC, Commander Health Care Facilities and its subsidiaries have been mainstays in the Pee Dee area for over 50 years-- a testament to the high-quality care we provide for our residents.
Our Medical Director, Dr. Gilliam Skinner, holds a Board Certification from the American Medical Directors Certification Program and is a Certified Medical Director of Long Term Care. Dr. Skinner has been the Medical Director at Southland for almost 30 years.
Commander Health Care Facilities is dedicated to providing the highest quality medical and nursing care possible. Between Commander Nursing Center and Southland, we maintain 251 licensed skilled beds for intermediate and skilled nursing care, rehabilitative services, and respite care.
Southland Health Care residents enjoy such amenities as:
- Private/semi-private rooms with bath
- Cozy dayrooms and enclosed courtyards
- Complimentary laundry service
- Spa-like bathrooms with whirlpools
- Planned activities for each day of the week
- Large dining rooms and therapy areas
- Space for private parties
Southland also provides residents with the following items/services:
- Skilled and immediate nursing care
- Podiatrist, optometrist, and psychologist visits
- Chaplain services
- Dental services
- Complimentary beauty shop with two licensed cosmetologists
- Pharmacy and dietary consultants
- Hospice services